Eight new videos from Disney XD by Maker, an incubator program launched by Disney XD and Disney-owned MCN, Maker Studios, are now live on Disney’s digital platforms, including DisneyXD.com and the Watch Disney XD app.
Additionally, 10 videos that were previously released on YouTube, which have garnered more than five million views to date, are now available on the Disney app.
Content emerging from the program spans unscripted gaming and sports-related shows, comedy-driven scripted musicals and adventures and scripted animation. Select programs are also available in Spanish on the respective creators’ platforms.
The program features some of the most prominent stars in Maker Studios’ network including EvanTubeHD (The Fixits), Random Encounters (Resident Enis 2), Patrick Boivin (The Aquacats, pictured), CaptainSparklez (CaptainSparklez Skate Challenge), ZexyZek (The Not Too Bad Show), as well as up-and-coming talent and creators.
Chris Williams, head of channels for Maker Studios, said the XD program was created to provide Maker creators with the resources to make premium short-form content, “and that includes a way to get it to a broad audience.”
New content from established online creators includes:
- The Adventures of Luzu and Manolo (Spanish/English LuzuGames): Luzu and Manolo the pig view each other as a tasty snack, but before they can turn each other into dinner they find themselves in the middle of the Skeleton Apocalypse and must battle for their lives – they decide to put aside their appetites and join forces – for now.
- Eames and Barry (Forrestfire101): A manatee named Eames and a capybara named Barry star as two rookie detectives solving mysteries in ’50s Boston in this noir-inspired comedic thriller.
- Natalia’s and Mayden’s Vida Loca (Spanish/English ExpCaseros): Inventors Natalia, Mayden, and their cat Archimede accidentally cause their entire town to turn into a hybrid cat-human-zombie horde, and experience a series of mishaps while searching for a cure to the madness.
- Agent Smarty Pants (Action Movie Kid): A kid becomes the accidental owner of a special military-grade pair of “smart pants.” The pants develop a life of their own and take control of his lower body, forcing him to deal with yet another issue on top of his normal teenage problems.
Content from emerging creators include:
- Dream Gig (Albert Lawrence): Join host Albert Lawrence as he takes featured guests on adventures that place them in the heart of the career paths they are most curious about.
- Growing Up Viral (Nicholas Grava): A teenager learns the ups and downs of becoming “internet famous” after a video of him receiving a loving smooch from his grandmother goes viral.
- Jack of All Trades (Cininima): Jack has just moved to a new town and a new school when he discovers an amulet that grants him special powers.
- Travel-sized Adventures (Daniel Florez): Join Nathan, an average 10-year-old introvert whose parents force him to put away his beloved video games and get outside to see the world. Along the way, he learns all about the United States – and himself.
The incubator may also be developed further into television pilots for Disney XD, the company confirmed. The original incubator launched in September 2015.
Photo credit: Aquacats Disney XD / Maker