Defy Media-owned ScreenJunkies, a digital channel for fans of movies and television, is launching a new subscription streaming service, ScreenJunkies Plus (or SJ+).
The new service, which goes live Nov. 17, will offer users a slate of archived ScreenJunkies content, along with fresh programming, to be updated weekly.
ScreenJunkies currently reaches 4.9 million subscribers and has garnered more than a billion views. The channel averages 2.4 million views per video, according to Defy.
Among those signed on to create original content for the service are YouTube star and film critic Jeremy Jahns (900,000 subscribers and nearly 270 million views), movie reviewer Chris Stuckmann (460,000 subscribers and one million views) and the team behind How It Should Have Ended (5.4 million subscribers and more than one million views), the animated parody YouTube channel that imagines alternative endings for movies. All will all host brand new shows on the service.
SJ+ will also debut and be the home of ScreenJunkies’ first scripted original series Interns of F.I.E.L.D., a comedy about over-worked, under-paid interns behind the scenes at the world’s most elite secret super hero organization. The show is set to premiere on the service in December and will feature linear television and film actors including Jamie Kennedy, Jonathan Lipnicki, and Casper Van Dien.
Keith Richman, Defy president, said the SVOD launch comes as the appetite grows among consumers of digital media.
“We launched ScreenJunkies Plus in order to fuel our ability to satisfy this audience and to further invest in programming that meets their broad spectrum of interests. We believe the combination of our existing scale, additional programming and multi-platform distribution positions us to become the go-to network for this genre,” said Richman in a statement.
Additional programming for the service includes:
- TV Fights! – Real fights over the best (and worst) TV shows of the past, present and future;
- Mundy Night Raw! – Two fan-favorite film critics, Dan Murrell and Nick Mundy, duke it out and debate the week’s biggest new releases and undiscovered cinema classics;
- Movie Games with Jeremy Jahns – The YouTube star and outspoken film critic joins Screen Junkies Plus for a bi-monthly series featuring all things movie trivia;
- First & Worst – Movie Critic Chris Stuckmann and a guest debate the best and worst film of a given filmmaker or actor;
- After Credits – Teaming up with How It Should Have Ended, viewers fast forward beyond the movie itself to show after-credits scenes for films that never had them;
- Does It Hold Up? – Host Spencer Gilbert (Honest Trailers writer), guest experts and Screen Junkies Plus fans determine if ’90s/retro films still hold up today;
- The ScreenJunkies Universe – A live show that provides an official gateway to upcoming featuring sneak peeks of new shows, Q&As with favorite cast members, viewer email, etc.;
- Honest Trailer Commentaries – Viewers can access exclusive commentary tracks, outtakes, behind-the-scenes secrets and alternate jokes from Honest Trailers;
- Honest Trailer Exclusive! – Subscribers can vote on which film is next to get the “honest” treatment in a special Honest Trailer; and
- After The Fight! – A post-show that gives audiences access to the special guests to discuss who won MovieFights!, who should have won, and ask questions.
The SVOD service will be available on web and mobile apps (iOS and Android) for $4.99/month. Both will offer a free trial at sign up. ScreenJunkies.com offers the option to purchase an annual subscription for the online service at $59. There’s also an option to buy a Founders Club pack for $99, which includes a one-year subscription with one-year free, a Movie Fights home game, and ScreenJunkies merchandize.
Current programming for ScreenJunkies on YouTube, including Honest Trailers, MovieFights!, and ScreenJunkies Show, will remain free on the channel.
Watch the ScreenJunkies Plus trailer below:
Photo: screen grab from ScreenJunkies promotional video