Amazon announced on Monday that it will debut its third pilot on Amazon Instant Video on Aug. 28 in the U.S. and the U.K.
The lineup of 3 half-hour comedies and 2 hour-long thrillers comes from a group of critically-acclaimed creators including Shaun Cassidy (Invasion, American Gothic), Jay Chandrasekhar (Super Troopers), Marc Forster (Monster’s Ball, World War Z), Steven Soderbergh (Ocean’s 11, Traffic) and Whit Stillman (Metropolitan, The Last Days of Disco). The casts include Ron Perlman, Chloë Sevigny, Mena Suvari, Selma Blair, Sarah Chalke and Paul Reiser.
Amazon’s third-season pilots are:
- The Cosmopolitans — A half-hour romantic comedy written, directed and produced by Whit Stillman, it follows a group of young American expatriates in contemporary Paris searching for love and friendship. It stars Adam Brody (pictured, left), Chloë Sevigny, Dree Hemingway, Freddy Asblom and Adriano Giannini (pictured, right).
- Hand of God — Directed by Marc Forster and written by Ben Watkins (Burn Notice), the show is an hour-long drama about a law-bending judge (Ron Perlman), with a wife (Dana Delany) and a call girl on the side, (Emayatzy Corinealdi) who suffers a mental breakdown and goes on a vigilante quest to find the rapist who tore his family apart, aided by visions he believes are being sent by God through his ventilator-bound son.
- Hysteria — An hour-long thriller about a neurologist (Mena Suvari) who returns to her hometown of Austin, Texas, to investigate a psycho-physiological illness spreading through social media. Written by Shaun Cassidy and directed by Otto Bathurst (Peaky Blinders), it also stars James McDaniel (Orange is the New Black), Josh Stewart (The Dark Knight Rises), Adan Canto (X-Men: Days of Future Past), Laura San Giacomo (Saving Grace) and T.R. Knight (Grey’s Anatomy).
- Really — A half-hour comedy about a group of married friends in suburban Chicago written, directed and starring Jay Chandrasekhar. It also stars Sarah Chalke, Selma Blair, Travis Schuldt, Hayes MacArthur, Collette Wolfe, Luka Jones, Lindsay Sloane and Rob Delaney. Craig Chang and Harrison Kordestani produce for Main Street Films. Jamie Tarses (Happy Endings) is an executive producer.
- Red Oaks — A half-hour coming-of-age comedy set in 1985 about an assistant country club tennis pro (Craig Roberts) in suburban New Jersey and the wacky characters he encounters, including a sexy art student (Alexandra Socha) and her corporate raider father (Paul Reiser). Written by Gregory Jacobs (The Knick) and Joe Gangemi (Eliza Graves) and directed by David Gordon Green (Pineapple Express, Eastbound and Down), it also stars Jennifer Grey (Ferris Bueller’s Day Off), Richard Kind (Luck) and Olivier Cooper (Californiacation). Steven Soderbergh, Green, Jacobs, and Gangemi are executive producers.
During pilot season, Amazon customers are invited to watch, rate and comment on the pilots. At the end of pilot season, the feedback will be used to determine the shows that become Amazon Original Series. In April, Amazon greenlit six series from its second pilot season – Transparent, Mozart in the Jungle, Bosch, The After, Gortimer Gibbon’s Life on Normal Street and Wishenpoof!
Photo via The Cosmopolitans Facebook page