Touchstorm, a New York technology-based service company that builds video audiences for brands, has come up with a proprietary video index to build a comprehensive YouTube report on outdoor activities and adventure sports.
Using a suite of software technologies to build brand audiences at scale and grow YouTube channels organically, Touchstorm has compiled information on 3,166 YouTube channels and 38 topics using a big data engine and software interface called Voot, which profiles topics, producer type, country, languages, off-lining trading area, corporate owner and talent profile.
A measuring instrument called a TVi score reveals how strongly a YouTube channel is producing engaging content and generating a following. It identifies channel health based on a blend of metrics, including views, subscribers, conversion, positive passion, view density, content activity and more. The key metrics are combined to total a top score of 1,000.
“The breadth of this report is mind-blowing, as it exposes an entirely new view of YouTube, with category competition, rising stars and metrics that matter if you want to build a successful channel,” said Alison Provost, Touchstorm CEO, in a statement.
Some of the findings revealed in the report include:
– Red Bull is the top dog in views with 826.5 million, followed by Discovery Networks (669 million) and GoPro Camera (486.7 million).
– So far, 86 YouTube stars have emerged, with Scotland’s airsoft expert Scout The Doggie and US frisbee champ Brodie Smith leading in views (Scout, 142 million) and subscribers (Smith, 637,115) respectively.
– More than 29 million subscribers tune into outdoor activities and adventure sports, resulting in an accumulation of 8 billion views.
– Skateboarding and parkour channels account for 8 of the Top 10 channels, with airsoft, bushcraft, geocaching, tricking and slacking ranking as the next popular sports.
– 44% of the channels are based in the U.S., but they account for 75% of all views.
– Globally, although 107 countries participated, 89% of the content is available in English.
You can download the Touchstorm report for free here.